Monday, June 11, 2012

Mayo Free Avocado Macaroni Salad

Have you ever created a recipe that you just couldn't wait to share?  This is one of those!

I absolutely love macaroni and/or potato salad, but I know they are not healthiest choices, so I don't make them often...that was until I saw avocado mayo on Pinterest!  At first I thought oh that's a neat idea...then it hit me!!!!  I can make a macaroni salad using avocado may...and so I did!

Avocado Macaroni Salad


Mayo Free Avocado Macaroni Salad

Ingredients

1/3 C + 1 Tbsp Avocado Mayo
1 carrot
1 yellow pepper (any color)
3 scallions
3 stalks celery
1/4 box elbow macaroni - prepared and chilled
1-2 tsp mustard powder
shake of paprika

(Be sure to have your elbow macaroni prepared and chilled before putting all the ingredients together.  I made my macaroni in the morning so it would be chilled by lunch.)

First prepare the avocado mayo.  I used a recipe from Rachel at The Traveling Spoon.  This was so simple.  I used my food processor and it just whipped right up into a creamy mayo substitute! 


I used a Bell Freezer Jar since I was planning to freeze what I didn't need.  

Avocado Mayo

Next throw all your vegetables into the food processor - no need to rinse the "bowl," 


I love recipes that I can use one dish to prepare! 


Now is when it all comes together.  Mix the avocado mayo, vegetables and macaroni together.  I started with 1/3C of the avocado mayo but then thought it needed a little bit more.  I would recommend starting with 1/3C, then adding more depending on how you like your macaroni salad.  Add the mustard powder...this again, is based on your flavor preference.  


Shake a little paprika on top and serve! It was amazing!  I was hoping it would be good, but it was better than I could have imagined! 

Avocado Macaroni Salad

Has anyone tried making potato salad with avocado mayo? 


Don't forget to check out the Patriotic Link-up Party!  
Some wonderful bloggers have already shared their ways of honoring soldiers and our Nation!  
I can't wait to see what you have to share! 


Check out who I'm linking up with on the sidebar! 

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I hope you give it a try and let me know what you think!

      Delete
  2. This looks yummy and it is not too complicated! I like the spices you use. I bet it would also taste great using southwest type seasonings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...southwest flavors would be good! Or Cumin!! :)

      Delete
    2. Of course cumin! I am surprised you left it out :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for linking this in. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea. I saw that avocado mayo recipe somewhere too! I will have to try this.
    Blythe
    www.thedesperatecraftwives.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Blythe! It was SO good! I hope you give it a try and let me know what you think. New recipes always need feedback and tweaking! Glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  5. Jenn,
    This looks super delish! I love avocados and can't wait to try this recipe.
    Thanks so much for stopping by Creative Thursday this week. I couldn't do these parties without you. Can’t wait to see what you link up next week. Have a wonderful weekend.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing, im a new follower and would love if you followed me at http://iheartpears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE avocado... I will definitely have to try this!! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm, this sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing on our “Strut Your Stuff Saturday”. Hope you come back next week. -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sure does look delicious! I'm going to Google + this post right now.

    Thanks for linking up to Say G'day Saturday. This week's post is now live so I hope that you can join in again this weekend!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for the comments! I would love to hear if any of you try the recipe and what tweaks you make if you do! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...