Saturday, March 31, 2012

A Natural Old Fashioned Cleaner

You may have noticed in some of my cooking photos that our kitchen cabinets are dated varnished pine unique!  I go back and forth about what to do about them.  Some day soon I will have an answer and share the transformation with you...and by soon, I mean within the next five years!

For right now we're stuck with them.  They've been looking really rough lately, dirty and dull so I did some research on how to clean varnished wood.  I was excited when I came across an article on 'green and thrifty old school hacks.'  The hacks, or ideas, reminded me of a post by my friend Suzy just this week on using an old cookbook.  I am a fan of doing it the "old fashioned way." If it worked then, why change it?

Anyway, back to the cabinets...one of the old school hacks was to use tea as a cleaning agent for varnished wood.  Perfect...we have lots of tea and you can't get much simpler than brewing some tea!

I brewed about 6 cups of "tea." 
This was actually way more than I needed, 2 or 3 cups would have been enough. 

Once I brewed my new cleaning solution I put it in the fridge to cool off just so I wouldn't burn my hand, I don't think the temperature has any effect on its cleaning powers!  
Using a rag I wiped the cabinets.  
(I was reminded of how much I love the look of tea stained fabric!)


This process was so simple but one little warning...your fingers will become a little stained, so if  you are concerned about that you might want to wear gloves. 

I was really impressed with how well the cabinets shined up.  Here is a before and after. 

Peanut wanted to know why the cabinet smelled like tea though! 


I decided to try and save the tea mixture.  I'm not sure how it will keep, but it's worth a try! 


I now feel inspired to start using more old fashioned tricks!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...