Monday, April 30, 2012

Japanese Maple Tree Seedlings

We had to make a tough decision and cut down a gorgeous Japanese Maple Tree this past weekend.  (I will share the reason why in a soon in an upcoming post!)
I hate cutting any trees down but especially one as unique as that!  Before we cut it though I did some research to see if there'd be a way I could "root" the branches.  So based on my research I decided to give it a try...what did I have to lose?

Here are the simple steps I used based on what I read.

1. Fill a container with potting soil - I chose to use old plant pots, the kind you buy the plants in.  

2. Cut a small branch off the tree (sorry for the blurry pic, it was a little breezy!)

3. Remove the lower leaves leaving a little bud or at least exposed green growth

4. Place the branch in soil so that the bud is covered with dirt - do not let any leaves get under the soil.  
Thoroughly water and pack it in.

5. Place the container in a plastic bag, do not close the bag but keep it around the container to keep the moisture, humidity in.

6. Place the container in a warm area but not in direct sunlight and let nature do its work! 

Hopefully I will have a follow-up post soon with pictures of beautiful seedlings!

Linked to:

Keeping It Simple
 Making Monday Marvelous

1 comment:

  1. I hope it works! I love Japanese Maples. We have one that will hopefully start growing. It was hiding in the shadow of a big pine tree that was leaning over, waiting for one big wind storm to fall over on the power lines. So we were proactive and cut it down. Now the little maple has a chance to grow and thrive.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...